Friday 22 January 2016

The making of my cover page

The Making of my cover page
After looking back at my original cover page I quickly realised that the cover I made was not fitting to the genre and made it difficult for the audience to interpret what the genre of the magazine was and the content of this magazine. So I decided that I would try and make my magazine as conventional as possible in order to make the look genre appropriate which in this case would be a rock magazine.

After doing some quick research online into a good editing website I found a website called Canva. I found Canva a very useful to use when making my music magazine and used it to construct my cover page as well as my contents page. Canva was a easy website to use and allowed me to look at templates which influenced the layout of my magazine. When making my music magazine I began with picking my background image. This would be the main feature of my music magazine and draw the attention of the reader in. This image features one of the models selected in my original AS photos and has been edited in order for it to fit the conventions of the genre. I then began to look at a type of font that would fit the look of my magazine. I found a font called 'Blocks' and I felt that this font fitted my magazine quite well and gave it the bold look that I wanted for my rock magazine. I then proceeded to insert a small slogan for my magazine which is 'Live . Laugh . Rock'. I decided to add a slogan to my magazine after looking at Kerrang! magazine and at their slogan 'Everything that rocks'. I thought that by giving my magazine a slogan it gives the audience another thing to associate my magazine with. I then moved on to the cover lines. These are important for magazines as it gives the reader an insight in what is included in the magazine and what sort of things they can find in the magazine. These cover lines tend to include articles titles and band/artists names that will immediately grab the readers attention. I decided to change the colour of some words in order to make them stand out as I had previously seen this on a magazine. This helps to give the magazine an authentic look and a professional look that I was hoping for.

I think that the overall look of my front cover is very professional, compared to my cover page last year I have progressed far in the editing stages of making a magazine. By sticking with the conventions I was able to make small changes that help to keep my magazine the look that I was hoping for but it still fits in with the conventions of a rock magazine. I feel that by sticking to the conventions I have allowed myself to become creatively challenged in the way that I made my magazine and this meant that my magazine developed a more authentic look.

No comments:

Post a Comment